- When can I use the room?
- Is it FREE? Does it cost?
- Who designed the room?
- What's in the room? 3D printer and what else?
- 3D file formats used in studio
What is the Innovation Studio?
The CPPL Innovation Studio provides a space for everyone in Calcasieu Parish to learn about emerging technologies and bring their creations to life. Graphic arts design, film editing, 3D design, app creation and coding are just a sample of what this space holds for you! The studio is located inside Central Library on 301 West Claude Street in Lake Charles.
The Innovation Studio was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. CPPL received $24,892 from the IMLS Sparks! Ignition grant, allowing us to purchase a 3D printer ($2500). The grant also allowed us to develop the CPPL Innovation Studio App and contract a local artist to redesign the space.
The Innovation Studio is open to all Calcasieu Parish residents. There are two ways to access the studio:
- View the CALENDAR for Maker Hours as well as other activities occurring in the Innovation Studio.
- Anyone is invited during these times to use the studio and its equipment. Space is limited to 16 people at a time and is based on a first-come first-serve basis. Children ages 10 & under must be attended by an adult.
- Schedule an appointment.
- This option is open to organized groups and schools, as well as individual adults who already know how to use the equipment.
- Contact the Central Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 721-7116.
Can't make it to the Innovation Studio, but need something printed? Request it.
Everything within the studio is FREE except for printing.
Printing Costs are:
- Black & White Prints: $.20
- Color Prints: $.50
- 3D Prints: $1.00 per file regardless of object size/weight. Objects that require multiple files will be charged accordingly to the number of 3D files submitted.
The Innovation Studio was designed by local artist Erik Jessen. To see more of his work visit www.mixyourmedia.com
Makerbot Replicator 2
- Consumer-level 3D Printer
- Prints in PLA (polylactic acid) bioplastic
- Build size: 11.2 x 6 x 6.1 in. (285 x 153 x 155 mm)
- Manufacturer's details
- Bring your own files (.stl format) to print!
- The Maker software is used.
Adobe Creative Suites w/ 27” Touchscreens
- Two 27” Dell XPS Touchscreens
- One has Production Premium
- One has Design & Web Premium
Sharp Aquos 70” Smart Screen
- Smart screen technology
- On portable stand
- 3D pen that uses ABS and PLA plastics
- Visit http://the3doodler.com for project ideas
- Camtasia Studio 8
- Professional grade 3D printer
- Prints up to 3 colors at a time; supports PLA, ABS, & dissolvable natural PLA
- Max build size (Single head printer): 11.2(w) x 9.06(h) x 10.6(d) inches
- Max build size (Double head printer): 9.56(w) x 9.06(h) x 10.6(d) inches
- Max build size (Triple head printer): 7.89(w) x 9.06(h) x 10.6(d) inches
- The Cube software is used.
Laptop & iPad Mini Lab
- 16 Dell laptops
- 10 iPad Minis
- Software: Office 2010, Photoshop Elements,
Tinkercad, Sketchup, Scratch,
Blender and Autodesk Design
- Green Screen
- Canon Powershot Digital Camera
- Samsung High Def Camcorder
- Blue Yeti Microphones
- Sound Cancelling Headphones