- Laura Richardson, President
- Dr. Dale B. Schanz, Vice President
- Paul Arnold
- Brent Cating
- Alice Danclar
- Michelle McInnis
- Willie Mount, Friends Liaison
- Brent Washington
- Anthony Zaunbrecher
Contact library board members at email@example.com or write to:
Calcasieu Parish Public Library
301 W. Claude St.
Lake Charles, LA 70605
Or messages can be left with the Library Director's administrative assistant at 337-721-7147.
- The Library Board usually meets on the third Thursday in January, March, May, July, September, and November at 11:00 a.m.
- Meetings are usually held in the Thielen Room which is located on the second floor of the Central Library.
- Central Library is located at the corner of Ernest Street and W. Claude Street.
- Central Library's mailing address is 301 West Claude Street, Lake Charles, LA 70605.
- The ordinance creating the consolidated Calcasieu Parish Public Library provides that the library is under the control and supervision of a Joint Library Board of nine members.
- Five members are nominated by the mayor of the City of Lake Charles and four members are named by the President of the Police Jury.
- All nine members are confirmed by the Police Jury.
- Two ex officio members are the Police Jury President or his/her representative and the Mayor of Lake Charles.
Except for the above provision relating to the number and appointment of the library board, the legal framework of the consolidated parish library is provided under Title 25, Chapter 3, Sections 211-223 of the Revised Statutes of the State of Louisiana.
- The Library Board has the authority to establish rules and regulations for its own government and that of the library not inconsistent with law; to elect and employ a Director; to fix salaries and compensation for library employees; to adopt the annual budget and authorize expenditures in accordance with the budget; and to establish library policy.
- All authority for operation of the library resides in the Library Board, meeting and taking action as a quorum.
- No authority resides in the individual member.
- Individual Board members do not have power or authority to commit the library or to speak for the Library Board, unless so authorized by the Library Board.
- The Library Board President is the spokesman for the Library Board and speaks on behalf of the Library Board during the interim between Library Board meetings.
- In an emergency the President may act on behalf of the Library Board with Library Board ratification of the action taken at the next scheduled Library Board meeting.
- The Library Board has adopted as its code of conduct the Louisiana Library Association Trustee Section Code of Ethics for Trustees of Public Libraries.
- Memberships for Board members in state, regional and national associations shall be included in the annual operating budget.
- Registration fees, travel and related expenses for Board members' attendance at local, state and national library meetings shall be governed according to the policy for library staff members.
- Legal counsel for the Library Board and staff shall be provided by the Calcasieu Parish District Attorney or his designee.
- Legal expenses incurred by any member of the Library Board or staff involved in litigation as a result of his service on the Library Board or employment by the library shall be paid from library funds, provided that the Library Board member or staff was acting in good faith and within the scope and authority of his position.