About the SWLA Genealogical & Historical Library
We're located on the 1st floor and to the left of the main entrance to the Carnegie Memorial Library. This library is located at the intersection of Pujo (a one-way street from east to west) and Bilbo Streets, in historic downtown Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Hours, phone number, email address
- Operating hours: 9 am - 6 pm, Mondays through Fridays and 9 am - 5 pm on Saturdays
- Phone number: (337) 721-7110.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Branch Manager: Brandon Shoumaker
- One hour parking is available along Bilbo Street on the west side of the building.
- Unlimited parallel parking is available along Pujo Street, and in the lot at the southeast corner of Pujo and Bilbo Streets.
- A kitchen area with vending machines, refrigerator, and ice maker is available for use by patrons.
- Available online catalog.
- Books, periodicals, microfilm, compiled family records and electronic databases.
- Records on most of the American states with special emphasis on Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi, as well as those stated to the north along the Mississippi River, Canada, and Acadia.
- A limited amount of information on British genealogy and patriotic organizations' lineage books.
- Cemetery and church records, parish courthouse records, military records, compiled family histories, parish histories and land records.
- Indexes are available for obituary notices that appeared in local newspapers, as well as marriages and some births.
- How-to Books are available to assist the beginning and experienced researcher.