January is a big month for us!
Your library has moved to a new computer system, a new online catalog, and we've made changes to how fines are assessed, when cards expire, interlibrary loan limits, who can receive a library card, etc.
Speaking of fines, GUESS WHAT?
As of Dec. 9, 2019, NO MORE OVERDUE FINES FOR MOST ITEMS. This does exclude devices, device peripherals and other in-demand, high-cost items such as hotspots, laptops, Dolls, and backpacks.
January 8, 2020
- Access the new catalog.
- You PIN will be the last four digits of your phone number.
- Check with staff for additional assistance with changing your PIN.
- If you’d like to be notified via text messages, staff will need to verify your phone number and will need the name of your phone carrier.
On December 30, 2019
- The library’s mobile app will no longer be updated. A new app will be coming in the first quarter of 2020. Details coming soon.
- Last day to place Interlibrary Loans.
- Last day to print or save your checkout history and reading lists within the current catalog.
- This information will not migrate over to the new catalog. Ask staff for assistance.
- Online payment service will be disabled.
- Online Registration will be disabled.
Before January 3, 2020
- Update account information. Verify your phone number, address, email address, and birth date with library staff.
January 3 - 7, 2020
- The current catalog will not be updated. Call the library (or ask staff) to make sure items are on the shelf.
- Paying fines, placing holds, and renewing items will be unavailable.
- Your account (My Account) will be accessible, but it will not be updated.
- You can check out items, both physical and digital (i.e. OverDrive, Freegal, etc.)
- No items will be due during this time.
- Must have library card present to check out material.
- Outstanding balances must be paid and proof of address must be provided in order to renew library card.
- Parents/guardians must have a library card, and the account must be in good standing before a child or teen may receive a library card.
- Specially designed library cards are coming for children (ages 2-12) and to teens (ages 13-17).
- Children must be 2 years old to receive their own library card. Materials for infants may be checked out on the parent/guardian account.
- No overdue fines will be assessed for library materials except on devices, device peripherals and other in demand, high-cost items such as hotspots, laptops, Dolls, and backpacks.
- Once these items are overdue, the cardholder will be charged overdue fines according to the current fine schedule.
- A courtesy email is sent two days before an item is due. A second notice is sent when the item is one week overdue. When materials are fifteen days overdue, a bill for the cost of the item is sent, and borrowing privileges will be blocked until items are returned.
- No fines are charged on days the library is closed.
|Item Type||Adult Limit||Teen Limit||Child Limit|
|Blu-Ray||10||10||5 (combo of 5 blu-ray and DVD; not 5 of each)|
|Book (includesVOX books)||50||50||25|
|Book and CD||10||10||10|
||10||5(combo of 5 blu-ray and DVD;not 5 of each)|
|Game (video games)||3||3||3|
|Hotspot||1||not eligible for checkouts||not eligible for checkouts|
|Interlibrary Loan||50(combo of holds and checked out items at any time.)||50(combo of holds and checked out items at any time.)||10(combo of holds and checked out items at any time.)|
|iPad||1||not eligible for checkouts||not eligible for checkouts|
|Laptop||1||not eligible for checkouts||not eligible for checkouts|
|Magazines (in print)||20||20||20|
- Cardholders in good standing may request that the library locate and borrow materials that are not available in our library system.
- Interlibrary loans may take up to four (4) weeks.
- Patrons with Temporary accounts cannot request items via interlibrary loan.
- Adult and Young Adult cardholders are limited to fifty (50) active requests (filled or pending) at any given time.
- Total number of checkouts of 50 can be Calcasieu Parish Library items, Interlibrary Loan items, or a mix of both.
- If you have 50 items checked out and have holds or ILL requests for more items available, you will not be able to checkout until some items have been returned to get below the total of 50 items.
- Child cardholders are limited to 25 physical items with similar restrictions and request considerations as adults and young adults.
- Adult and Young adult cardholders are limited to fifty (50) pending Interlibrary Loan requests at any given time. Please remember the checkout limit may affect your ability to checkout available requests.
- Child cardholders are limited to ten (10) pending requests at any given time with similar restrictions and requests considerations.
- Interlibrary loan materials will checkout for two (2) weeks.
- They will automatically renew twice unless the lending library needs the item returned sooner.
- Extended checkout items or extra renewals are not allowed for Interlibrary loans.
- Patrons who fail to return Interlibrary Loan (s) or damage them will be charged $50.00 per item.
Starting in early January 2020, your library will be moving to a new library software. This includes offering a new online catalog.
During the transition period, some services within the catalog will be limited or unavailable. Services include:
After December 30, 2019, your checkout history and reading lists from the current catalog will not migrate over to the new catalog.
Please print or save this information. Ask staff for assistance.
This service will be available in the new catalog. The history will begin the day that you activate this service.
On January 8th, your PIN number will be the last four digits of phone number.
It can be changed. Ask staff for assistance.
- Placing holds on items will be unavailable beginning December 30 through January 7th.
- Pending hold requests will transfer and be filled as soon as we can do so after the launch date on January 8th.
- No items will be due between December 31, 2019 and January 7, 2020.
Beginning on December 30, 2019
- The current mobile app will be moving to a new platform so it will no longer be updated.
- More details will be announced when the new app will be available in the app stores.