- Louisiana Moves to Phase One Statewide on May 15, COVID-19 Stay at Home Order will be Lifted for Louisianans
- Open Safely Program Activates Across Louisiana
- STAY AT HOME ORDER - GOVERNOR OF LOUISIANA (issued Sunday, March 22, 2020)
- State of Louisiana Public Health Emergency Proclamation (issued Friday, March 13, 2020)
- School Closure for Remainder of School Year Proclamation (issued Wednesday, April 16, 2020)
Local drive-thru testing site opening for residents with high-risk medical conditions.
- LA 211- Statewide Network - Residents with questions about testing services should call 211.
- Call 211 - text LACOVID to 898-211 - visit LA211Help.org
- Burton Coliseum Complex - 7001 Gulf Highway in Lake Charles
- Refer to the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury's news update webpage for details on times, dates, eligibility requirements, etc.
- SWLA Center for Health Services - 2000 Opelousas Street in Lake Charles
- Call 337-439-9983.
- For additional helpful information visit their website.
- LA 211- Statewide Network
- Call 211
- Text LACOVID to 898-211
- Visit LA211Help.org
- Meals for Kids (CPSB)
- SNAP and P-EBT (Pandemic EBT)
- If you are not already a SNAP recipient and have a food need:
- Pandemic-EBT is available for students receiving free or reduced-price school meals
- Details and application
- Open for business - list within Calcasieu Parish and other surrounding parishes
Driver's License Renewal
- LA drivers can renew their license via LA Wallet.
- The in-app renewals operate just like current online renewal options, but in addition to receiving your physical credential by mail, users will receive an updated LA Wallet digital license/ID within 24 hours of renewal.
- $18 convenience fee waived during COVID.
- Limitations: if eye exam required, you can't renew
LA 211- Statewide Network - call 211, text LACOVID to 898-211, or visit LA211Help.org
- COVID Information in Louisiana
- COVID-19 Crisis hotline - ask questions at 1-866-310-7977
- General info line at 1-855-523-2652 from 8 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at 337-721-3800.
- 24/7 Disaster Distress Hotline - 1-800-985-5990; text "TalkWithUs" to 66746; TTY number 1-800-846-8517
- News and Updates - Calcasieu Parish Police Jury (includes daily press conference - 2 PM)
- Sign up for Calcashout - Emergency Alert System
UNITED STATES AND WORLD
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: updates, and specific info for healthcare professionals, etc.
- NatiFEMAonal Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
STATS AND CASES AT A GLANCE
eBooks and journals (COVID-19)
- Collection of books supporting emergency remote teaching, research activities, independent scholarship, and intellectual stimulation while universities, schools, training centers, and libraries are closed. (National Emergency Library)
- Free access to Covid-19: Novel Coronavirus Content via Wiley Online Library
CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Louisiana Workforce Commission - unemployment benefits
- If your workplace has temporarily closed or you have been told to take unpaid time off, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits through the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
- To file a claim, visit LA Workforce Commission or call (888-783-5567)
- LWC officials say their call volume has tripled since March 16.
- Best times to file claims: 10 PM to 4 AM
Hiring contact tracers in Louisiana
- Email ContractTracing@La.gov - details
Stimulus Program Status
- You can call the IRS Economic Impact Payment line at 800-919-9835.
- The IRS says that many frequently asked questions will be answered on the automated recording, and then you will have an option to speak live with a representative.
- Louisiana Loan Portfolio Guaranty Program
- LA Small Business Development Center - (337-475-5529)
- SEED Center, 4310 Ryan St, Ste 162, Lake Charles, LA 70605
- U. S. Small Business Assistance - https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela (1-800-659-2955)
- LA Governor's Business Assistance Programs - https://www.opportunitylouisiana.com/covid19
- SBA funding programs from the CARES Act - paycheck protection program, SBA Debt relief, etc.
Small Business Advice and Guidance
- SWLA Economic Development - online resources available offering advice and guidance to business owners.
Resources for Impacted Businesses
- LED is working with all levels of government to safeguard LA businesses in terms of economic and physical safety issues related to COVID-19.
- Here's a list of resources for businesses, art & entertainment, etc. that are effected by this virus.
U. S. Government Benefits
Find Coronavirus resources on Benefits.gov
- Louisiana Workforce Commission (2424 3rd St., Lake Charles 337-721-4010)
- LA Department of State Civil Service
- Job Search Assistance - Sun. - Thurs. from 10 AM-Midnight; online job search, applications resumes, cover letters, interview preparations, and drop-off reviews
- Louisiana Job & Career Center (State Library of LA Job Search & Career Portal)
- Job & Career Accelerator – Information on over 1,000 occupations as well as resume and cover letters, interviewing and networking techniques, and more. (available until June 30, 2020)
Online Learning and Tutorials
- Use Lynda.com, self-directed, self-paced online learning for users of any skill level. Accessible in the library or at home. Topics include, but are not limited to Business, Management, Software, and Design.
- Use Learning Express 3.0 to prepare for occupation exams.
- Job Search Assistance (Homework Louisiana)
- Create a resume in 3 easy steps with Cypress Resume.
- Crafting your Cover Letter with GCFGlobal.
- Job & Career Accelerator – information on over 1,000 occupations as well as resume and cover letters, interviewing and networking techniques, and more. (available until June 30, 2020)
Talking to your children about COVID-19
- PDF (content from Adrianne Presnell on March 17, 2020)
- LPB info
- How to talk to your kids - PBS
- Child Mind Institute
- Kids Health from Nemours
- First Aid for Feelings - Scholastic Workbook
- Free eBook - Rainbows in Windows by Yumi
- I have a Question by Arlen Gaines & Meredith Polsky
- Piggy & Bunny & Stay-at-home Plan by Holly S. Belgum, MD
Proper privacy protection online
As a reminder, the best ways to reduce risk of getting sick, as with seasonal colds or the flu, still applies to prevent COVID-19:
Keep Yourself and Your Community Healthy
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Discard used tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or use hand sanitizer that is 60–90% alcohol-based.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing. Try to keep an optimal six-foot distance from other people.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or experiencing flu-like symptoms. Contact your doctor.
- Vulnerable individuals, which is defined as 60+ years or who have health conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, kidney disease and weakened immune systems, are recommended to limit outings, avoid large gatherings, telecommute if possible, stay home if they are sick and avoid people who are sick.
- There is no recommendation to wear masks at this time to prevent yourself from getting sick.
- Please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention FAQ website for more information.
In order to take proactive measures against the spread of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, all branches of the Calcasieu Parish Public Library will close at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17 and will remain closed until further notice.
- Due dates for all items checked out will be extended. Patrons are asked to please keep their items with them, and not to leave any items in the book drops or at any libraries.
- All homebound deliveries via the Library To-Go service, as well as all library programming will be cancelled.
- Any patron or group that has booked a meeting room at any library branch will need to reschedule once the library system reopens.
- Library Administration will monitor the situation daily and investigate the possibilities of providing access to the public.
- Patrons are encouraged to access the online library with thousands of free eBooks, movies, music, and TV shows that can be streamed or downloaded for free.
- Look for resources such as OverDrive, hoopla, Tumblebooks and others that will provide hours of entertainment for families.
- See the Stuck at home? Explore the Digital Library and Additional Online Activities sections below for additional resources.
- Free Wi-Fi is also available outside of the public library buildings.
Updates will be posted on this website as well as our various social media outlets.
24/7 digital resources — including e-books, e-audiobooks, music, movies, research resources, and more.
- Browse the subject/topics list (library resources & websites) or the A to Z list of all library resources
- State Library Databases - research, homework, DIY, books, and more.
Manage your account or Get Help!
- Manage your account after hours or remotely; renew books, place holds, and more.
- Have a question regarding your account or digital resources? Get help using our Live Chat service or contact a library branch.
Stuck at home? Explore these cool resources.
- coloring pages, writing prompts, and uplifting quotes (American Library Association)
- Reading the World: Tablet to Tablet- an exploration of how various cultures have contributed AND influenced the world around us through different forms of the written word.
- 12 famous museums offering virtual tours you can take on your couch
- Free virtual tours: museums, graffiti, tourist attractions, nature walks, and 24-hour feeds
- Google Arts & Culture - virtual tour of the some of the world's greatest museums and heritage sites.
- Explore the Cincinnati Zoo - Facebook Live event featuring animals and activities (beginning March 16th at 3 pm)
- Planet Fitness At Home Workouts - live-streamed daily (6pm CST)
- Free streaming Operas from The Metropolitan Opera - performances will begin at 6:30 p.m. CST
- NASA image collection
- USS KIDD Veterans Museum virtual tour
- find fun ideas, crafts, etc. on CPPL's Pinterest page
- Activities and Resources for kids with special needs (Exceptional Lives)
- More virtual field trips
- Virtually visit 8 world-class libraries
- nature-based learning with Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
- Level up your armchair travel - virtual world tours
Online Story Times, Book Talks, Crafts, etc.
Distance Learning Opportunities
Additional Resources and Websites